Re: Showing cars & Waterfest

Ian wrote:

> Can anyone explain to me what cars are judged on? is there a 'standard' for
> stock/modified.

Stock is allowed one or two modifications that don't change the basic character
of the car. This is a point that is up to the judge's discretion. However,
common sense prevails most of the time. For instance a Scirocco 16v with stock
GTI rims and White guage faces would pass my test maybe. However, the same car
with 18" chrome wheels and neon green guage faces would be heavily penalized. We
slammed a couple of stock cars for this sort of thing. Judging the stock cars is
difficult because the differences in the contenders are sublime.

Now, the modified cars are easier when you know what you're looking at. I'm a
real fan of innovation, custom fabrication, and an overall package that the
factory engineers would drool over. -a creation that they would take as a
compliment rather than an outrageous offense. Still, however, a beautiful
monstrosity is still gradeworthy. Did anyone check out that ridiculous Golf Mk2
with the A4 lights installed? At first I thought that I was looking at the
ugliest fiberglass kit that I'd ever seen. Then I learned that it was all done
in metal! There was no plastic anywhere and the integration was flawless. Yeah,
I thought it was butt ugly, but I would have given it top points if I'd judged
it. The preparation was just that thorough.

For the record, Brett won the modified Scirocco Mk2 class by the narrowest of
margins -like 2 points out of a possible 100. Watch out next year, dude! This
was the hardest class to do because a) most of the cars are lots newer than the
oldest Rabbits and Mk1s, and b) custom parts are much easier to find. So, what
were the differences between him and his nearest competition? Well, he developed
his motor with a great degree of intelligence and the car was really clean
outside. However, he got demerits because his interior was less than perfect and
his engine bay paint was somewhat blemished. The other guy had an immaculate
interior and engine bay and a better suspension. His presentation and display
were also vastly superior to Brett's. However, his engine was *stock*, his
exhaust manifold was cracked, motor mounts were saggy, and one of his CV joint
boots was shot. Oops, you almost had it. Sorry bruh...

We're anal bastards like that. I hope that everyone takes our criticisms
constructively.

> I thought the A1 turnout was very disappointing, apart from the 10 or so
> Sciroccos I think there were about 2 Cabriolets and 4 or 5 Rabbits.

I dunno about that. I judged 35 cars across a three hour period. My crew felt
pretty accomplished by the time we were done. Damn, I'm still dehydrated...

Btw, if anyone wants the skinny on exactly what we thought of their cars, just
ask.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut