Showing cars & Waterfest

Can anyone explain to me what cars are judged on? is there a 'standard' for
stock/modified. Some of the cars at waterfest looked downright disgusting
 eg; peeling painted interior, tacky fixtures, badly fitted components etc),
others were incredible, eg the $6k paint job on the A3 Cabriolet! or the
black Passat wagons interior setup. And it was nice to see the engine that
adorns my screens background (Brett's, if you couldn't guess!)
I'm a little interested in showing but I'd like to know what to work on?

I thought the A1 turnout was very disappointing, apart from the 10 or so
Sciroccos I think there were about 2 Cabriolets and 4 or 5 Rabbits. Then of
course there was the caddy/cabby hybrid!
Watching the autocross on that hill was a challenge in itself.
The bus ride thing was a joke.  I waited for 20 minutes then walked!
Even though I had a good time I think the organizing still needs some work.

Ian