Re: Ground Control Coilovers are the bomb!!!

> Ken, I'm curious. What spring rates are you running front and rear.
> -progressive or linear rates? Also, what really is the difference from brand
> to brand as far as the height adjustable collars and such are concerned?
> (That is, everything but the spring part?) I mean, I've got Carerras out
> back and they make the rear go up and down... ... What is a better set
> supposed to do?

I have linear race springs, 400 up front and 450 in the rear.
Ground Control has done research and found this to be the hot
set-up for Sciroccos.  Please understand that I only autox this car.
I do drive it on the street to the events, but I am NOT looking for
comfort, I am looking for faster times and better handling.

As for why Ground Control over Carerras??  Ground Control has billet
aluminum hardware (very light), and they were a snap to install with
my Tockiko Illuminas.  Only took a welder and about 2 hours total.
The backs only took about 30 minutes, they just slide onto the stock
spring perch.  And they were only $399.

> > I can now launch at 4,500 rpms were before I neede to launch at 2300 rpms
> > to prevent wheel spin, and the braking is much more improved.
>
> Do you attribute this soley to the increased spring rates or is there
> something else going on here?

The spring rates made a big difference, because the car used to roll
much more and unload the drive wheels.  The fact that the car sits
2-3 inches lower also has alot to do with it.  I had Eibach
Progressive rate springs before, and they were fairly soft for autox.

I raised the rear fender flare about 3 inches so I could drop the
rear about 4 inches from stock height.  I did not modify the front
fenders, but there is only about 1.5 inches of clearance between the
fender and my 215-50/13's.  I am guessing the front came down about
2-2.5 inches. I do not have pictures yet, as the bondo work still
needs to be done.

> Thanks...
> --
> Scott F. Williams
> NJ Scirocco nut
> SCCA ProRally driver
> Hotrod Rabbit GTi

Ken Buck
1999 Philadelphia Region SCCA RE
78 DSP VW Scirocco- finally Ground Control equipped
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car #12 (4 feature wins in '99)
84 VW Scirocco daily driver 218,000 miles and still screaming
66 Olds F-85, second owner, second set of tires.