trick transmissions (was: A2?)

John Lagnese wrote:

> Is a 91 GTI a A2 frame?

Ya, mon.

> Has anyone put an 8V  tranny in their 16V?

It can be done but with some effort. A mounting point has to be welded on or
drilled through or something. The A2 cars have that wierd subframe stuff
going on and provisions must be made on the trans to accomodate it. Put the
8v in and you'll end up with a really nice gearset for drag racing,
rallying, and the tight country back roads. However, supposing you like your
comfy highway gearing, I'd stay with the stock 16v transmission.

One thing to remember, though, is that the 16v transmissions -Scirocco and
GTI 16vs alike -have bigger/stronger  mainshafts. So, if I had my druthers,
I'd actually rebuild the 16v trans with the lower final drive and install
gears to suit my needs.

Regardless, my 4k-based box goes as follows:
3.89 final drive
3.45 1st
2.12 2nd
1.44 3rd
1.13 4th
.75 5th

The car is a Mk1 which will eventually have a 170ish hp 2.0l 16v motor.
Whaddya think of this combo for daily driving, guys?
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut