Re: Euro Cam

>I know I saw this on the list before, but I was wondering what you all
>thought of the Euro Cam for the 16v.  It looks like it only gives you around
>7-8 hp, is that good?  I've also heard of flipping the exhaust cam (of
>course you'd have to have two) and having a cam shop weld it up so it would
>work as an intake cam.  Insight?
>
>Dave
>77 Rabbit 16v

I've heard the Euro intake is a good fit with the US 41mm intake manifolds,
as this combination has virtually no loss of low end torque (probably
due to the increased air velocity of the smaller intake runners), with
nice gains through the midrange, and better gains up high.  For less
the half the cost of a set of Schricks, it's at least half as good.

I've heard about people using the exhaust cam for another intake cam,
but how much more could it be worth (in power) then the Euro intake?
5 hp?  Low end loss?  Is it all peak?   Cams are arguably the most
important part of the breathing of an engine, why screw around?  You'd
probably spend the same $$ getting and fixing up an exhaust cam as
just buying the Euro intake...

Getting more power out of the VW 16v engine is expensive, no matter
how you slice it.  There's very little HP to be freed up by easy bolt
ons...not that bolts ons won't work...but cheap?  No way.  16v
header?  50mm intakes?  Cam sets? Head work?  2L short block?  Turbo?

All pretty pricy.  Probably the most bang for the buck bolt on
(depending on the state of tune on your particular engine) is a
fuel enrichment module.  8-10 peak hp. <$150.

Just my two cents.

==Brett