Re: Block Rebuild

---Jim Buck <vwpride@mixi.net> wrote:

> Brett Van Sprewenburg wrote:
>
> > Having seen this done, I'd have to say that all things are most
> > definitely _not_ created equal. :)  The factory balances the crank,
> > but I seriously doubt all the other parts attached to the crank
> > are taken into account.  Not to mention the fact that I'd bet a
> > hand balanced crank (post factory) is even closer then a few grams.
> > Wouldn't you think that with piston, wrist pin, bolts, clips, rod,
> > rod cap, even bearing weight differences can add up?  It may only
> > be a few grams either way, but at 7k rpms, everything helps right?
>
> (Translation: "I've paid money to have this done to my car, and want to feel
> better about it....DOH!")  ;-)
>
> Jim
> just couldn't resist...you can repay me with a virus-laden VAG disc this
> weekend...hehehe...

OH MAN! :)  I think I'm gonna hafta put you down laughing boy.

I did pay to have this done, but I needed to have my lightened flywheel
balanced too, so having the whole rotating assembly balanced wasn't a big
leap after that.  At idle my car is quite vibration happy, but it revs
and pulls smoothly to the rev limiter...something my 1.8 16v never ever
did.  There just wasn't any power up there worth hitting the rev limiter
FOR...know what I mean.  NOw, how much of this can I attribute to having
it balanced...?  Dunno, but the engine is a package, I improved every
piece I could, as much as I could afford to.  Balancing just seems like
a good idea, like making sure your tires are all properly balanced/inflated.

later!  (I've gotta go make one of my SPECIAL cd's for Jim now...)

==Brett