Re: Pressure plate to crank question(Now Solved)

At 09:17 PM 7/21/99 -0400, Steven Toughill wrote:
>Your snap on guy is in holden! His name is Frank check out the trans shop on
>the road that goes from Brewer to MDI on the left if going to MDI before the
>Mobil! ak them to get a hold of him.
>tap size is 6mm by 1.0 and very common

Yes, I finally got his name and number.  The tap is actually a 10mm by 1.0
and nobody had it.  And the ones who I didn't get an answer from didn't
call back.  But yesterday morning as I sat there with my dremel getting
ready to grind away the outer two rings of thread I noticed that the holes
for the pressure plate and crank weren't lines up perfectly.  So I pull the
pressure plate of and put on the old one and it fits perfectly.  Turns out
the new one(new in the box, had for 3 years though)is a bit off.  Isn't
that jsut great!  Anyway I used a smaller tap with 1.0 pitch and kind of
scraped the threads and got the bolt to go in fine.  Now the engine and
transmission are together adn ready to go in.............except I noticed
as I was ready to install that the front support(engine mount and radiator
support) moved when I pushed down on it.  Not good.  So this weekend I am
going to clean it up and weld it.  That means no Waterfest for me this year.

John Worden
Old Town, Maine

'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
'81 Volkswagen Scirocco(Mk1) soon to be 2.0 16V.  The engine is out/
 and all electrical is pretty much done.
'69 MGB- in need of total resoration(needs some front fenders too)