Re: Getting rid of my AC

Jonas Karlsson wrote:

> T Berk wrote:
>
> >The A/C equipped cars use two pulleys on the crank, down low. These
> >serve two different sets of pulleys up above.
>
> ummm, I'm not sure of the setup on the early cars, But on my 85 w/AC (the
> same as the 84 I think), there is only one belt (other than the timing
> belt) that goes on the crank. It drives the WP and the AC. The AC then
> has a dual pulley, the inner of which drives the Alt. Cars with PS use a
> second belt on the crank to drive that system.

I was thinking of my '84 GTI engine. When I put it in my '81 Scirocco, I
removed the Alt bracket from the 1.7L engine, and swapped water pumps as
well onto the 1.8L. This left me with an unused outer pulley on the
crank.

> >The idea is to replace the Alt mounting bracket AND swap the water pump
> >pulley for one that is offset from the one you have now.
>
> If you swap in an offset WP pulley but keep the crank pulley the same,
> how are they still in line? Are you running the belt on the -other-
> crank pulley?
>
> Trying to learn something new everyday
>
> Jonas
> 85 Scirocco

No prob, Bob- I could use a bigger, wiser VW brain to step in here and
help with the seeming discrepancy.

TBerk