Re: At a loss? Greatly appreciate any advice ...[sorry a little long]

Alex Zartman wrote:

> 1987 16v GTI.
>
> Car stalled this morning after coasting in 2nd gear and puttting into neutral.
> As soon as I put the car in neutral it died instantly.  I find that lately when
> I come to a light and put the clutch in the revs dip way low then rev up and
> down for a while then settle at 900 rpm.

i had the same problem once on my 8v rocco, as soon as you press the clutch pedal
the engine would die instantly. One of the vacuum lines going to the idle valve was
disconnected.

Remove your idle stabilizer valve and clean it out with carb cleaner, my friend
fixed his crazy up-and-down idle problem on his 16v by doing this.. his stabilizer
was full of oil and crud... couldn't hurt and only takes a few minutes.

> I've replaced all of the following:
>
>  vacuum hoses,
> injector o-rings,
> new battery,
>  new spark plugs,
>  new spark plug wires,
> checked for tears in boots
> ISV is one year old
> K&N Air filter
>
> I leaned out the fuel mixture prior to installing the SS TT catback exhaust, and
> modifying the airbox.  Because of my free flowing exhaust and modified airbox,
> do I need to re-adjust my fuel mixture? I don't mind a little idle hunt, but it
> seems it is getting worse.   I have detailed instructions on how to adjust the
> fuel mixture but I have no multimeter, so I can't use them.

i had to reset my fuel mixture after changing my injector o-rings, so if you've
changed that much stuff, it might be a good idea get it checked.

i'm not sure where you live, but if your coming to waterfest, i'm _sure_ Brett would
be glad to check it for you :-)

-nigel.