At a loss? Greatly appreciate any advice ...[sorry a little long]

1987 16v GTI.

Car stalled this morning after coasting in 2nd gear and puttting into neutral.
As soon as I put the car in neutral it died instantly.  I find that lately when
I come to a light and put the clutch in the revs dip way low then rev up and
down for a while then settle at 900 rpm.

I've replaced all of the following:

 vacuum hoses,
injector o-rings,
new battery,
 new spark plugs,
 new spark plug wires,
checked for tears in boots
ISV is one year old
K&N Air filter

I leaned out the fuel mixture prior to installing the SS TT catback exhaust, and
modifying the airbox.  Because of my free flowing exhaust and modified airbox,
do I need to re-adjust my fuel mixture? I don't mind a little idle hunt, but it
seems it is getting worse.   I have detailed instructions on how to adjust the
fuel mixture but I have no multimeter, so I can't use them.

 In the past I 've done it by feel.  I was planning to enrich the mixture a
touch this afternoon and see if that helps?  Also try and flush the ISV with
carb cleaner and see if that helps anything.  I was told that there is a device
which controls how quickly the ISV responds, can that be tuned?

I recently cleaned my K&N and I was wondering if a little oil from the filter
could get sucked into the ISV over time, and gum it up?

What else should I check?  Frustrated!

Alex