Re: front struts

>On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:37:47 PDT "Chris DeLong" <green536@hotmail.com>
>writes:
> >
> >I disagree with the idea of brake fluid. It deteriorates paint,
>therefore if
> >ANY leaks out it could damage your paint, undercoating, strut housing
>paint
> >leaving it susceptible to rust from the road. I recommend antifreeze,
>after
> >all what is it used for?
>

>I don't know what comes in the stock struts other than its some kind of
>hydraulic fluid (duh!). I just installed a set of Bilsteins on a couple
>A2 GTi's and all I know is that stull stinks. I just left the fluid in
>there and tossed in the new Bilsteins.
>Hmm. I use ATF. Ive always used it after it was recommended to me by a
>local respected shop owner. (years ago.)
>The bottom line is it probably doesn't matter what you put in there as
>long as it inhibits rust and corrosion.
>

>              Shawn Meze

When I helped do Mike's Bilstein suspension, I was all set to use
antifreeze like I've done before...however, I think upon reading the
papers that came with his struts, they specifically said _not_ to use
any extra fluid in the strut housings.  I might not be remembering
this correctly, but it rings a bell because I thought it was a little
odd...

==Brett