Re: front struts

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:37:47 PDT "Chris DeLong" <green536@hotmail.com>
writes:

>I disagree with the idea of brake fluid. It deteriorates paint,
therefore if
>ANY leaks out it could damage your paint, undercoating, strut housing
paint
>leaving it susceptible to rust from the road. I recommend antifreeze,
after
>all what is it used for?

I don't know what comes in the stock struts other than its some kind of
hydraulic fluid (duh!). I just installed a set of Bilsteins on a couple
A2 GTi's and all I know is that stull stinks. I just left the fluid in
there and tossed in the new Bilsteins.
Hmm. I use ATF. Ive always used it after it was recommended to me by a
local respected shop owner. (years ago.)
The bottom line is it probably doesn't matter what you put in there as
long as it inhibits rust and corrosion.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and