which front strut housings are which?

Ok dammit I remember having this problem LAST time I screwed
around.  Which of the damn front struts are american, and which are
european?  The shorter?  Which had the inner thread and which the
outer.

I hate having problems and not remembering or having written it in
the damn margin of the bentley like I used to...

As I recall there are 2 different strut housings.  One is shorter than
the other and uses a slightly different insert.  I recall dicking with it
to gain suspension travel from the lowering of the mk2.

Anyone care to comment?  Yes I checked the damn cd.  doesn't
say what the difference is between the F,H,and J. (heavy duty. OOO!!)

Ed