Re: Race Header Benefits?

At 04:44 PM 7/18/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Listers,
>
>My '81 came w/ a 4 into 1 header installed. I have since swapped in a
>GTI 1.8 liter engine. The only other mod at the moment is a K&N filter.
>
>I have at my disposal a dual exhaust and wondering what the header
>benefits me- high RPMs with more flow? Greater torque? Loss of low end?

  In general, correctly tuned 4-1 headers offer a little more peak power,
at the expense of power outside of this range. An improperly designed 4-1
header does nothing but hurt power. A 4-1 header with crossover pipes(small
tubes connecting the individual header tubes) are more like a 4-2-1 design
in terms of power band.

HTH,
Brad