cv joints

I am replacing a ripped cv boot and i am having problems getting the joint
off the axle so i can slip the new boot on.  I have an 86 16v and it has the
cv joints that are hard to take off.  They're not the easy ones with a snap
ring holding them on,  they have the little washer and collar and supposedly
a circlip inside that.  The problem is that i can't see the circlip so i
have no idea how to get the joint off.  It doesnt look like there is
anything i can remove that will let the joint slip off, so im guessing that
there is a way to tap the joint off.  It's just i dont want to go bashing
shit up and trash the joint.  So anyone that has these type of joints and
has done this let me know of some tricks you used to get it off.
Thanks

Eric Person
86.5 16v