Re: Steering rack mounts question

Yep, I know exactly this problem, when replacing a manual steering rack
with PS the universal joint between the column and the rack is longer
on the MS and shorter on cars with the PS, which in my case accounted
for the bracket not fitting when I took out PS and put MS in my '87,
hate PS , more shit to go wrong.  HTH.  LAter

--- "John C. Worden" <scirocco@midmaine.com> wrote:
> Ok this thing has pissed me off so now maybe someone else has the
> answer.
> I am putting the PS rack from an '87 MkII into my '81 MkI.
> Everything
> fits, except the drivers side mount bracket, the "U" shaped thing
> with
> little tabs.  I can't get it to go on.  I've tried with three
> different
> brackets, the new bushing and the old bushing and no luck.  I even
> put on
> bracket into a vise to bring it back into more of a "U" shape( they
> are all
> a little off).  I can get one end onto a stud, top or bottom, but not
> the
> other.  I've tried beating on the thing and am getting nowhere.
> Bentley
> didn't list any little secret that I was unaware of.  Anyone else had
> this
> problem?  Advice?  Thanks.
>

> John Worden
> Old Town, Maine
>
> '98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
> '81 Volkswagen Scirocco(Mk1) soon to be 2.0 16V.  The engine is out/
>  and all electrical being done now.
> '69 MGB- in need of total resoration(needs some front fenders too)

> If you experience other problems, email:
> scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org

===
Scottish
'83 Rocco (parts)