Re: 1.8 L 16v head on 2.0L 16v bottom end

At 05:11 PM 7/14/99 -0400, Victor Farren wrote:
>I recently purchased a 2.0L block from Jonas (thanks!).  I plan on putting
>my 1.8 L 16v head on it.  I also plan on doing the work myself.  I am pretty
>decent with a wrench and I have a good set of tools.  I haven't heard or
>read anything that would make me believe that I can't do it myself.  BUT
>that is why I am throwing this out to the list.  Is there anything that I
>should be especially aware of?  I am out to lunch here thinking that I can
>do this myself?  The block came with all the accesories--water
>pump, water pump pulley, crankshaft pulley, oil pump, oil pan.  It looks
>like all I need are some hoses that I plan on taking from my 1.8L 16v.
>
>I know some list members have done this.  Did you guys do the work yourself
>or did you have a shop do it?  Why?  Am I biting off more than I can chew??

I'm in the middle of this right now, well the motor is together, just foing
the accesories in my spare time while I wire the car up.  I had no problems
except one of the two dowel pins in the block didn't line up with my head
and scared the hell out of me until realized what it was.  If this happens
to you, no problem, it's the one on the transaxle side of the motor and it
is not cast into the block- you can just tap it into the block, out of the
way.  Of course I haven't put it in the car yet or started it up soooo....I
don't know if I screwed anything up yet.

John Worden
Old Town, Maine

'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
'81 Volkswagen Scirocco(Mk1) soon to be 2.0 16V.  The engine is out/
 and all electrical being done now.
'69 MGB- in need of total resoration(needs some front fenders too)