Re: gut the cat.

In the U.S. emission requirements have become progressively stricter.

VW was able to meet US (non California) emission requirements without a
CAT until 1979.

(1975 & 1976? came with cats, but later were exempted)

In 1980 VW was forced to add the cat (presumably to meet emissions), and
beginning in 1981, all Sciroccos were lambda equipped (w/cat, obviously).