Re: Isolating the problem

Damon Steele wrote:

> Well, my sluggish running 8V has turned into the mystery theater.  One
> suggestion was to check the O2 sensor and the only way I knew how to do that
> was to unplug it?  When doing so, there was no difference in the
> performance, so I plugged it back in.

Consider what you just said- I disconnected it and there was no change.
Sounds like it's not working to me. Consider the O2 sensor itself may
not be at fault- After an engine swap I took my car in to get it dialed
and they found a loose (broken) O2 computer ground wire.

> There was one strange thing
> though....when the car was shut off, I turned the key to "on" and a weird
> noise started.  On the back of the fuel pump (the black box with 4 silver
> lines sprouting out the top) there is a little "deal" which for lack of a
> better term, looked like a small cylinder about 2 inches long by 2 or 3
> inches around.  Had an electric lead attached, and it buzzed.  No other
> term, and when I unplugged it, it quit buzzing.  What is this, and is this
> normal?  I also noticed lined into and out of this thing were cracked and
> splitting, so I assume I need to replace these...

I 'tink dats the 'Frequency Valve', it's job is to buzz when things are
working right. :)
The lines are covered with a rubbery coating that cracks over time. If
they really need replacing you'd see gas squirting all over the place.

btw- Do you have a Bentley manual that covers your Model's range of
years? No? Get one. Preowned ones are available and are a good value.

> Last observation:  It took a while to figure out what you folks were talking
> about when you said "cat" the other day, but I sheepishly hit on it.  Mine
> rings like a bell...no kidding.  When it's idling, it is ringing like a
> bell.  When the car is shut off, I can tap on it with a wrench, and it makes
> the same sound...what's the deal?  Is that normal?

Nope, sounds like your Cat's toast. THe crumbled pieces in the shell
will rattle around and clog up things, it's likely to migrate back to
the muffler so look into this ASAP and confirm the diag.

> I'm wondering if the
> insides blew, and the muffler is clogged, thus my sluggish running.  But the
> deal with the sluggishness is that sometimes when you are accelerating, it
> will kind of "pop" (not audibly) and you feel the horsepower rise
> noticeably.

Sounds like the stuff is shifting around under load.

> Any help is definitely appreciated...
>
> DeS

hth,
TBerk