what's wrong with my power windows?

hi all,
this is the fifth time i've noticed this happen. it's a hot day in the east
bay (90 deg f or so) and as i was driving a bit, i noticed that my windows
wouldn't open/close when i push the switch. last time this happened i had
to either wait a while for the car to "cool down?" or wait a 15 minutes or
so, and then while keeping my finger on the power window switch, turn the
ignition key to the on position - and run through this wait/toggle routine
until the windows go up. is this a heat related issue? do i have a bad
relay somewhere?
please advise!
thanks
dave