Re: Dirk's car lift

Hello,

> http://home.t-online.de/home/SCIROCCO/repair.htm
> Please, Dirk, tell us where the heck you got that car lift!

In fact Matthias, a friend of mine from our Scirocco Club built it.
( those who got the Roadstar CD from me
 probably know his awesome fog-Scirocco )

>That would
> make life SOOO much easier, especially for exhaust work.

yes it makes some repairs much easier,
you only have to take the battery out,
fuel and oil can remain in the car of course. It's a 10 minutes job
until everything is prepared, and then you can attach a drilling
machine to easily lift or lower your car.

> Is the stress on
> the lower axles very high?

no, it's attached with the bolts of your wheels to the axles
so the stress is not bigger as when cornering, and it's static.
There is less twisting of the car body as using a car jack on one side,
you can test this when you try to open a door when lifted.
The door opens and closes easily, in contrast to when I lift it with
a usual car jack.

>Is it stable, or do you have to worry about
> tipping the car over? Looks kind of scarry from the pictures, actually.

It's *very* stable, we were both hammering and pulling the cat
and fooling around like two berzerks - no problem :-)

but unless you're a really skilled mechanic, I would not
suggest to build yourself this car lift, bending the 4 large
pipes exactly the same way and constructing the axle
attachments is much work.
Those car lifts are available to buy here too,
I'm not sure about the costs, approx. $1000 I guess.

Greetings & have a great weekend !!
Dirk