Re: HELP!! From a newbie

---Damon Steele <maundo@email.msn.com> wrote:

> Well, I'm assuming that this is similar to other mailing lists, and so I'll
> just jump right out there and confess that I'm a newbie at Scirocco's.

Actually, this list is a lot better then other mailing lists... :-)

> I've had aircooled Veedubs, but this is a new beast.  A Veedub with
> power...wow.

Power is addictive, pretty soon you'll be wanting more!

> Who woulda thunk it.  Anyway, I'm the proud owner of an 82 1.7L that has
> recently taken sick.  So, here's my newbie question:  Apart from plugs,
> points and the like, what are the other likely culprits for rough running.

Here's a few...

Fuel filter. Vacuum leaks (injector seals also qualify). Debris in the
fuel system (Ie. rust).  Poor compression.  Tired fuel pump.  Clogged
air filter.

> The timing is correct, and the only other thing I can think of is dirty
> injectors.  I've been told to steer away from much of the injector cleaners
> as they can actually make it worse, but I don't know if you can crack an
> injector open to clean it yourself with no problems or not.  Please render
> your collective expertise.  Thanks...

No, you cannot open them, but the only reason I can understand for someone
to say that it would make it worse is if the cleaner flushed gunk from
upstream towards the fuel distributor/injectors.  If this is the case, and
you actually care about fixing the car, then you have other bigger problems.
I would suggest the 'over-the-counter' Castrol Fireball cleaner, or the
really good stuff BG-44k.  The latter will probably be harder to find.

> DeS

==Brett