G-grind timing

Ok, so i just had my exhaust ,manifold replaced with a 4-2 my downpipe
repalced with a dual and my cat replaced with a TT 2", i also had a
G-grind put in.  Here is the question: how should i change the timing, and
is there anything else i have to do to realize the full potential of these
changes, to be honest i really don't feel any improvement over stock at
all, except maybe it revs about 200 rpm more withour running out of breath
(stock, it hit around 6K, now maybe it gets to 6200 or so before the power
turns into just noise) any body have any ideas?
I had the stuff put in by a VW guru whop owns a shop near me and he did it
for almost nothing, but told me he wasn't sure what to set the timing to.
so, as i can set timing myself(my dad has atiming light) any suggestions?
as i would like to see some return on my investement.
thanks a bunch,
Rob Luhrs