[TECH] Auxiliary air regulator....Need info on failure....can it be bypassed?

I got the tune-up, shocks and all the goodies done on my rocco on monday, it worked great... til tuesday morning. My timing belt broke, so I replaced it the tensionner and the valve cover gasket. When I was done and the timing was verified, I noticed the car had a very erratic idle, I decided to take it out for a spin to see if a little drive couldn't clear up something like a blocked injector or something, this effort was in vain. I however realized that not only the idle was erratic but that my roc was stumbling severely when the engine was not under load (when maintaining a speed , under 3000 rpm in any gear). Acceleration is not a problem, and speeds that required engine RPM's above 3000 are ok but anything else was hell.. I was told my Auxiliary air regulator was toast, why would it screw up right after a tune up? does the timing belt going have anything to do with this... can anyone explain the purpose of the Aux Air regulator in a nutshell?

Thanks

Paul J. Dorion
Project Manager
Dexx Design