my exhaust is spitting out droplets of (water)! what??

hey all,

thanks to ian and all for helping me with the expansion tank problem. upon
reflection it was an easy fix - even easier under "pressue" (haha). i had
lost soooo much coolant today that my car damn near died on me (a bit above
halfway between the led and the max). i figure there was no coolant in the
radiator, since the fan never came on. and i guess i had puked out all of
the coolant from that damn sheared sensor. that aside, the problem seems
fixed for now - we will see for certain tomorrow.

there's a new "problem" of sorts...

i went to the back of the car tonight 9:45pm bay area weather (cool) to
find a small drying puddle of what appears to be water right around the
exhaust pipe. so, i started the engine up again and walked to the back of
the car to see the exhaust "spitting" droplets of black water (i assume the
black is just carbon, but what's the water from?)..

is this normal? someone i talked to tonight said that i might have blown a
head gasket! (shit.) this seems to make sense since i had essentially
deprived my car of fluids for the most part of the day.

someone please enlighten me!
thanks
dave

87 16v