water pump question

I was replacing my passenger side motor mount today, and while my elbows were flying while taking off the water pump pulley I knocked something off my water pump.

It is a white plastic thing that looks like a thimble.  It is located right behind the pulley.  It looks like I broke the neck off of it b/c I can still see the rest of the neck in the opening where it was.  When I looked inside the thimble part it is filled w/ black sludge.  It has the VW/Audi stamp and the number: 049 121 099, and it also says TAH inside of a circle.  What is this thing???  I started the car and looked at the opening (little smaller than a dime) in the water pump but nothing was coming
out.  Is this some kind of overflow reservoir??  If it is it is ridiculously small.  Any ideas??

Oh yeah, and the motor mount definitley needed changing.  It was TOTALLY shot.  Now the scirocco purrs like a kitten instead of sounding like a bucket of bolts!  If you haven't done it, do it!
 Was it a PITA?  Yes.
 Was it worth it?  Yes.
Do you need to take the mount to a machine shop to get pressed in?  No, not if you have a VERY strong table mounted clamp that you can use as a press.

Thanks,

Victor