Re: do old O2 sensors die or just fade away....

Greg,

They cover it in several of their books:

"Automotive Handbook", 3rd Edition, ISBN3-1-419115-X (about $27).
"Automotive Electric/Electronic Systems", ISBN 0-89883-509-7 (about
$27).

and is some technical instruction phamplets:

"Emission Control for Spark-Ignition Engines"
"Combined Ign & Fuel-Injection System with Closed-Loop Control,
K-Jetronic.
"Combined Ign & Fuel-Injection System with Closed-Loop Control,
Motronic.

These are usually available from Autotech for about $10 each, as I
recall.
There is also a tech brief out by Bosch, which you might get for free
through
a Bosch distributor (I picked mine up at the SAE auto congress).  BTW, I
do
have an extra copy of this brief which I would let go for a nominal fee
:-)  It
is an 8.5 x 11 3-fold glossy on card stock.  Nice graphics and info.

regards,

Mark