Pickup coil..

 I have an 87 16v with motronic engine management from a Passat. The #4
plug wire has a little pickup coil around it, the plug wire goes right
through it. I was told by a mechanic this is used only for the cruise
control. If that's true I don't have cruise and I'm changing my plug
wires if that's all it's for I won't bother re installing it. If I need
it the #4 wire is unassembled on one end so if I need to change it over
I can. Anyone know anything about this? Also, could anyone tell me the
exact location of the knock sensors? Thanks...

Jason
87 Scirocco 16v 2.0 Motronic.