Re: Idle?

I have a fried w/a Golf that has the same problem, his car is a
Digifant, yours is a CIS.  The dealership told him to replace the idle
stabilizer (a $300 piece that I got him at a local wrecking yard for
$10).  Some of the other listers would know if the CIS cars have this
idle stabilizer piece....

---Robert Whitney <whitneyr@thomas.edu> wrote:

> I just got a 'very' used '85 scirocco. The body has 200,000 + miles,
and he
> said the engine has 100,000. I believe it's a JH motor. I have a
problem
> with the idle. When you start the car it idles at around 1700 rpm's,
then
> after a minute it drops to 500 rpm's, and will sometimes stall.
About a
> minute after it drops to 500 rpm's it jumps back up to maybe 1500
rpm's, and
> slowly goes down to about 1200 rpm's and kind of stays there. It
will idle
> at 1200 but about once a second it will change to 1000 or 1300 rpm's
(it
> jumps back and forth), I would really like to get the idle perfectly
smooth.
> I have no idea about the cars history. Could this be attributed to
the ox
> sensor, or is that too much of an idle difference? Thanks for your
info.
> -Rob

==
                          Steve