[Tech: Engine cuts out - ALOT]

WARNING: Long winded message ahead.

Background:

Every generation has a legend... (Scirocco AWD)
Every journey has a first step...(Scirocco 8v)
Every saga has a begining...
The dark side of the force has a firm
grip on my engine.
The engine (84' 8v stock) used to cut off (stall?
die?) once a month or so (sometimes once every
three months) so I figured ya - thats odd,
but hey its almost 15 years old so I forgave its
odd quirks.  But lately its choked to death
more often and this morning it died 4 times on
the way to work (which is only 3.5 km through
traffice -never getting over 2800RPM and 50 KPH
(about 23 MPH).
The engine dies.  I hit the emeergency blinkers
and pull over, wait 25 seconds, crank it.  It
will USUALLY start, but not always.  Wait again.
Then its always started.

*when it dies you can feel the power go out of
 it.  Like the sparks stopped sparking or its
 not getting fuel.

Solution:
Beats me.  I was thinking on replacing the fuel
filter.  I replaced the air filter three months
ago.  And the plugs and wires 6 months ago.  Its
been raining here for about 2 months steady now,
it never used to rain back in Alberta... but
then it never snows here... so fair trade I think.

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH I need a my own shop and tools and
a better paying job so I can take better care of my
poor car.

Ah.  I feel better.

Thanks for ANY help. :-)