Re: [Opinions] 0.80 5th Gear Conversion -- 16v

At 10:47 AM 1/27/99 , you wrote:
>I used to want to try this but I changed my mind. I guess it depends on
>WHERE you drive most of the time. I drive on the freeway every day from
>Victorville, CA to Pomona, which means there is a LONG serious uphill
>section on the way home. I don't know if you know that area but most
>cars/drivers have to really struggle to maintain 70 mph on the way up. A lot
>of them have to move over to the right and let people like me go by, just
>because this hill is slowing them down. That's what I have to do when I
>drive the GF's Golf and it's an awful feeling. In my rocco, I am actually
>able to ACCELERATE up the hill, passing just about everybody. It's a good
>feeling.

Yeah, it's always a good feeling... but remember, on the highway at 70mph,
my 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears will remain unchanged.. and at 70mph, I have
4th and even 3rd..  I wouldn't mind having to cruise up long hills in 4th
if the result was not having to drive around at 4000rpm on the highway all
the time...

>Yeah, the RPMs are pretty high at freeway speed but you get used to that and
>for me it's worth it.

	Not I.  What car do you have, David? 8v or 16v? Which tranny?  Of all the
guys I know with 16Vs, all of us want to change the 5th gear-- it's not
only maddening, it's just not worth it.. shy of the E36 BMW M3, it's the
only car I've driven in the past couple of years that never needs to be
downshifted on the highway... and yet it's the only car I've *ever* driven
that puts around at cruising speeds on the highway at 4000... it's not only
silly, it's dumb... and the Germans hate it even more-- imagine cruising on
an Autobahn at 6500rpm all day?  In a 3-series 6 cylinder maybe, but no
thanx- not in a loud, rough 4 cylinder..

	My $0.02
		Jason