Re: used parts/bad mpg

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 10:45 AM, Ian <mailto:e@sbbs.se> wrote:
>Sorry guys I had the tank replaced about 6 years ago and the smell is
coming
>from the engine area, oxygen sensor was replaced last summer, also
replaced
>last year was air filter (K&N) fuel filter, spark plugs & wires.
>
>thanks for trying, but please don't stop!
>ian

I occasionally have problems getting the fuel filter to seal well. Look at
fuel line connections to make sure they are dry (grey, not dark). A lot of
times a bad seal doesn't drip, just evaporates of the line. However, that
probably wouldn't account for bad mileage. I missed your previous post so I
don't know what symptoms your engine is showing. If you have bad idle it
could be leaky cold start valve, mixture, timing, lots of things.

scott

'86 Scirocco 8v