'81 "S"

From: Michael Goodman <mgoodman@sfu.ca>

> IMHO, the easiest way to get 100+ hp is to upgrade to the JH block
> engine. Its a straight in swap and only requires a few minor changes
for
> it to work. (As easy as changing an upper radiator hose is all the
> difference between the 1.7L to the 1.8L.)
> The difference in power is quite a bit. The 1.7L puts out 75hp where
as
> the 1.8L puts out 90hp. So then its to gain the extra 10hp! Its easier
> get 10hp than it os to get 25hp. Quite simple to when you have the JH
> motor as a solid foundation. And as a bonus, you wont have to do any
> machine work to the head or block.
> Getting the remaining 10hp should be as easy as a good exhaust system
> upgrade, K&N filter and a G-grind cam.

Could you go into more detail... I have a JH engine (although it has a
only an H on the engine block, though I'm sure its the 1.8 90hp) and
looking to increase my horsepower a little.  I don't mind spending a few
pennies, but would like to do the work myself (those VW mechanics charge
crazy amounts!  I found out the hard way!)  Thanks!

				Mike Goodman
				mgoodman@sfu.ca