SV: Performance difference w/o a cat?

Not so many days a discussion what differed the eurpoean version
from the US version. We got to versions here, early cars with no
cat and 139hp and later versions with cat and only 129hp. So
10hp difference with a cat vs no cat setup on US cars don't seem
so strange.

But if you compare a car with a free flowing race cat or no cat
it might not be any big difference.

Roland Johansson
Scirocco 1,6l TIC -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker

> 	One of the magazines I just got (don't remember which one)
was
> working on a project car.  They were doing an exhaust thing
and found their
> car had a hollowed out cat.  They put a new cat on, and the
car made more
> power with the cat than without.
>

> > >I agree.   Precious exhaust gas velocity is severly
hindered when the
> > >downpipe opens
> > >up into the cat, then must be re-funneled into the rest of
the system.
> > Not
> > >exactly a
> > >device designed with performance in mind, although it is a
highly
> > efficient
> > >unit, as
> > >far as cats go.  Going with a catless downpipe like the new
TT offer
> > greater
> > >torque,
> > >throttle response, and hp (I think TT claims 11 peak).
> >
> > hold on, 11hp?!?!  hmmmm...  i seriously doubt that, VERY
seriously.
> > maybe comparing the single outlet manifold/downpipe w/cat to
a dual
> > outlet manifold/dual long downpipe, then MAYbe it would be
close to
> > 11hp.  but not comparing the 16V dual downpipe with or
without a cat, no