Re: Performance difference w/o a cat?

I agree.   Precious exhaust gas velocity is severly hindered when the downpipe opens
up into the cat, then must be re-funneled into the rest of the system.  Not exactly a
device designed with performance in mind, although it is a highly efficient unit, as
far as cats go.  Going with a catless downpipe like the new TT offer greater torque,
throttle response, and hp (I think TT claims 11 peak).

jim

Shannon Fenton wrote:

> I have a 87 16V 1.8 with TT downpipe minus cat and full TT system back with
> straight thru muffler. I noticed a slight decrease in torque and you can feel it
> off the line but it spins alot quicker and has a little more power up on top. With
> a 2.0 bottom end dont think youd notice this though. My car however is very
> loud even with the brand new system. It was quiet for about the first three weeks
> then I think that without the cat it burns out the muffler faster and perhaps it
> because its a straight thru muffler too. YMMV
>
> Thank You for Your Time,
>         Shannon Fenton
>             North American Frontline Resolution
>             sfenton@telegroup.com
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: 1/25/99 1:18 PM
> To: Fenton, Shannon
> From: C. Worden, John
>
> Does anyone know how much of a difference in performance/power there is in
> running without a cat?  The motor in question will be a 2.0 16V.  And yes I
> am aware of  the enviromental aspects and laws associated with doing this;
> it's just a question, hint hint, nudge nudge.
>
> John Worden
> Old Town, ME.
>  '98  Dakota cc Sport 4x4, 3.9 auto, Intense Blue,
>  '84  Scirocco (under construction) Brakes and Suspension currently
>  '69  MGB Roadster(in need of restoration)

Jim Buck
1990 Passat Wagon 2.0 16v
1987 Scirocco 16v "lil 109"
1982 Rabbit Convertible **FOR SALE** http://www.mixi.net/~vwpride/cabbie.htm