Re: Performance difference w/o a cat?

At 05:07 PM 1/25/99 , Wm. Josiah Erikson wrote:
>I don't know specifically about a 16v, but when I removed the cat from my QSW
>(2.2L 10v I-5), it made a large difference in throttle response and high-rpm
>power. Same for the 8v Sciroccos I've done it to.

Truthfully, the performance gains should be minimal-- if not negligable.
The reason there were substantial differences for Josiah were probably due
to the cat's age and clogged-ness.  A new or good-condition cat should not
restrict the exhaust enough to cause more than a 1-2hp loss... The engine
was designed with it; leave it.
		Jason