Re: disc and brake question.

>In a message dated 1/23/99 10:50:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, brett@netacc.net
>writes:
>
><< Without a long discussion:  get the ferrodos.  Brembos are great.  Don't
> drill.  If you want extra cooling, use slotted or 'atom' groove. >>
>You can have cross-drilled rotors if you want. They cool better. Unless your
>car is a track only car. They could crack under SEVERE conditions. 99% of the
>time they are just fine. I've installed 100's of cross drilled rotors and have
>onyl seen one of them that cracked and it was probably flawed. Have fun.
>
>Frank

I understand where you're coming from but...

A previous set of mine cracked.  Several people on this list have reported
cracking in the past.  Why take the chance?  Get 75%+ of the benefit of a
full crossdrill, with little or none of the possible drawbacks & probably
for less money...a winner all around in my opinion.  Especially for street
driven cars like ours.  Feel free to disagree naturally, but this is part
of what I meant above when I wrote "Without a long discussion", knowing
that there'd be differing ideas.

I realize that crossdrilling is beneficial for cooling, outgassing, and
water ejection...while only slotting is ~90% as effective in outgassing
& water ejection.  Slotting is probably only 50%+ as effective in cooling
as a full crossdrill.  However, that's offset with the fact that some
tuners crossdrilling reduces the frictional contact area more so than
other tuners slotting does.  Which translates to fractionally less
braking surface...does it make a difference?  Maybe only in my head. :)
When figuring out how the surface area is affected, it's not just the
diameter of the hole, but the chamfered edges (necessary to reduce the
tendency of these types of rotors to crack) which make each hole
effectively 10-20% larger then it's drilled diameter.  Oh, one of the
other (supposed) benefits of slotting is that when the slots are almost
worn away, the rotor is worn out.  When the holes are gone from a cross-
drilled rotor...a piece cracked off. :)  Probably never happen, I know...

Like I said before, feel free to disagree...but you won't change _my_ mind.

==Brett