Re: body kit mounting procedure, was:RE: TECH-Electric Recaros Wiring?

I used a mastic type glue made by sikkens, called, I think sikkeflex or
something like that, and it comes in a cartridge, like silicon sealer.
I can find out exactly what it is called, if you want. It's pretty much
like the original factory bonding.  I'd be surprised if you would get
the wheel arch mouldings to stay on permanently with trim tape.  Maybe
Silicon sealer would do it.

I did it by applying the mastic to the body-kit and then clamping/taping
it intil the mastic had set, with a couple os screws put back to make
sure that the alignment was OK.  The hardest bits were the mouldings
over the wheel arches:  keeping the top edges close to the body while
the glue sets was a PITA.

HTH

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8

>From: Chris Coracini <Coracin@usdl.com>
>To: 'Brian Honnold' <bhonnold@pac-cap.com>, 'Alex Ting'
>	 <alex@millenniumsolutions.net>
>Cc: "'scirocco-l@scirocco.org'" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: body kit mounting procedure, was:RE: TECH-Electric Recaros
Wiring?
>Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:34:37 -0500
>
>the kit is screwed and glued on.  VW used some special glue, don't
>remember what kind.  someone recommended "3M automotive trim adhesive
>tape", said it works very well.  got a bentley?  the real procedure is
>in there...
>
>chris
>86 16V scirocco

Jetta