RE: engine trouble

Have you checked the fuel delivery system, i.e, transfer pump, fuel
distributor, etc.  I know a couple of months ago, a thread went around
regarding fuel pump problems and diagnostics. I don't know much but I'm
sure there are many who can help you with this problem. A sudden loss of
power would indicate to me that some system just went bad. Like one part
failed/nearly failed.  You could check for vacuum leaks, but I think I
remember you saying that you tried that, to no avail.
  I would check the fuel, air, and ignition systems as these have many
delicate parts that would cause a sudden loss of power, and screw up the
idle as well. But I have no experience with this, so ask others before
proceeding.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco