RE: Speedo gear

9A's use the green gear.  it will pop off if you pull hard enough.  i
was a little worried, too, put i just gave it one good yank and it
popped off.  try pushing in the little C-clip through the little hole in
the side (close to the top).  when you put the new one on, make sure the
C-clip isn't too expanded or it will slip off the little groove when you
try and put the gear back on.  i had to take it off and carefully
compress it, then put it back on over the groove like a piston ring so i
didn't expand it again.

chris
86 16V scirocco