Re: Water leaks

Kris Rayner wrote:

> I've got a water leak that's developed in the drivers rear of my '81
> but I have yet been able to track down it's location.  The drain
> tubes are clear in the hatch and still it leaks.  I've inspected the
> hatch seal, and it's sealing fine.  Any other ideas?  Any prone leak
> areas on the MK1's?
>                    Kris Rayner

OK, rear leaks seem to come from two major causes-

Inner door liner sheet.

This thing is a plastic sheet that covers the inner part of the door,
one to each side of the car. If any work has been done on door speakers
or window regulators then it's suspect that the sheet was put back
propperly, if at all. This is a common reason for water leaks that end
up in the foot wells of the back seat.

Bad Rear Hatch Rubber-

Leaks ine way back, hatch area are sometimes caused by poor rubber
seals, sometimes this can be a marginal seal that is being comprimised
by debris build up. I found pine needle and leaves were building up back
around my rear hatch, leading to poor sealing.  Also, the infamous sun
roor drain tubes- SOme folks with the factory S/R will find a stiff wire
will help, others have pushed compressed air through them.

One thing to consider about water in the rear is that the front of the
car is where the heater is and it will evaporate water that gets in,
either from shoes and such or from leaks. The back of the car is a real
cold zone and is the natural place for condensation to take place. Maybe
this is your situation, maybe not.

If this is the case then consider all the other Mk1 leaky spots;

  Firewall passthroughs - caulk w/ silicon.
  Front window seal - caulk w/ silicon (black); run tip under both inner
circumferences on the outer surface.
  Debris build up on top of firewall - clear 'yunk', clear downtubes on
the sides.

Uh, can't remember anything else for the moment, run w/ it and report
back.

All for now, HTH

TBerk