Re: hyd -vs- solid lifter theories...

>His comments are for building the ultimate valve train. Nothing he used
>is stock. Also his comments come from the aspect of
>building/machining/modifying the valve train.

Yes, the ultimate drivetrain would include solid lifters. Because they are
better than hydraulic lifters from a performance standpoint.
I can't think of many people on this list would wouldn't compromise a
little bit of extra maintinence for more hp and fuel mileage in the long
run.. Thats why we drive VW's.

>He only complains about the modifications he wants to do. Nowhere does he

What does that mean?

>speak of performance gains, hp figures or longevity. besides that, his
>comments are based on what he likes to do to a head via the modification
>procedures/tools available to him.
>So, you would use one mans opinion as a foundation to which you bandwagon
>the lifter differences? He is respected but he is also ONE MAN.

Yes I would use one mans opinion. If it's the same opinion of everyone
looking for performance in their cylinder head. Let me ask you this. Why do
virtually all race motors use solid lifters?
	Since our VW hydraulic lifter neccessitates the intake port being more
obstructed, it cannot possibly be a good thing from a flow standpoint.

>There are more engine builders who im sure, have a different idea as to
>what works best.

>ever heard a performance figure difference beyond the theories of what it
>is the HYD and solid lifters do.
>Anyone else?
>

>              Shawn Meze
>86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
>The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and   <-- wanna race?
>best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!
>http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/index.htm

Kevin Fry
'81 S 1.8