charging system rears it's uGLi head

Hello everybody!
(Hi Dr. Nick!)

I was driving to work this morning and 2 of the dash lights lit up. The
Battery light, and the OXY light.
I glanced down at the volt gauge, and it was @11v. It usually is around
13v. I turned off my Headlights and wipers, and it went back up, but the
idiot lights remained on.  Whenever I used an electrical accessory, the
voltage would drop severly. Tail lights, blinkers, wipers...
When i popped the hood, I noticed that the nut holding the ground wire
to the Alt. case is missing.  The ground is still making contact, tho.

This is the problem, probably---right? Bad ground?  What is the pitch
thread on the Alt case?  Anybody know that?

Thanks!

                       CHRIS CHEMIDLIN

          NEW MUSIC!         http://www.spredhaus.com
      VW PHOTOS!     http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus
          58 Type1 Ragtop, 84 Jetta uGLi, 87 Foxwagen