[exhaust] bad cat?

Pleasant MLK day greetings:

	I have an exhaust rattle which I've sourced to the muffler.  Is
there a way to determine whether the cat took a dive and spilled some of
its contents into the muffler or whether loose muffler pieces alone are
causing the racket?  In short, do I replace the cat or the muffler or
another unseen culprit?

	I was thinking about loosening the cat (if I can get the bolts off)
and taking a peek but what should I look for?  I've never seen the inside
of a cat before.  For instance, what does a plugged cat look like?  Should
I be able to see light through the cat?  Thanks for any help, benton-----

p.s.  I have no interest in hollowing out my cat--keepin' it strictly legal....