Re: what we don't like on our Sciroccos

German household switches go either way, by the way...

Okay, in remembering that the Mk2 was introduced in 1982... so it was
designed partially in the SEVENTIES...

We have no right complaining about the LIGHTS or the BUMPERS... those are
US Federal Regulations.  Every car had sealed-beams, so every car had the
same headlights.  Thank Uncle Sam.  And the bumpers?  Same deal- US
regulations mandated bumper shocks on the early Mk2s... and I don't blame
VW for resdesigning the US bumpers once that regulation was dropped.  Hence
the huge bumpers.

The radio too low?  Blech- you're insane.  Every ergonomic engineer in the
world wants the radio high-- but if you have a well-designed radio in the
first place, you don't have to look at it when adjusting it... and then
it's better to have it low.  I can adjust anything on my radio without
taking my hand off the shifter... and I never have to look.  It's
absolutely perfect.

The heat isn't the best.  It warms up fairly quickly, but is somewhat
difficult to regulate... and you should be able to get heated air out of
the corner vents, which tend to freeze my fingers.

The A/C is among the best systems I've used.  The ability to turn the temp
of the compressor down should be offered on any A/C system-- it will not
overdry the air, and provides a much more comfortable cabin... and uses
less gas.  True, they break all the time-- but that's true of EVERY A/C
system out there with the possible exception of GM's systems-- and which
car would *you* have? :)

Owen, the dash being dated? I'll have to disagree-- the WHOLE CAR is
dated... but it should be- the automotive press called it "dated" when the
16v came out in '86... it's now 12 1/2 years later! The whole car is
completely dated!  Oh, and by the way, all dashboards crack in time.

Someone mentioned bad brakes? WHAT?! Drive a 16v! Where else are you gonna
find a 2,500lb car with 4-wheel discs and a variable proportioning valve?!
Puhleeze.  Yes, the seizing rear calipers suck ass.

Someone said that all US cars are underpowered.  Now, which drugs are you
on?  A stock 1.8 16v did 0-60 in 7.7 seconds-- and 12 years ago, that was
fast as hell.  Car and Driver called it a "Supercoupe"... and it outran
just about everything in it's price range.  *and* everything that cost
twice as much.  Underpowered?

The high "ladekante" that Dirk was referring to is the trunk's high
"lift-over height"... meaning you have to yank your groceries 7 feet in the
air to get them in the trunk.  I agree. :)  While we're in the hatch area,
let me express my distaste with the lack of sound insulation, and the large
16v's spoiler interference with the rear view.

I think the windshield wiper speed complaint is somewhat founded-- but I
think it's also a function of the age and mileage of the car.  With my
alternator and all-new wires, my 57,000 mile garaged car has quick wipers.
True, high speed is the same as low was on my Toyota, but they're not as
slow as most of the other Roccos I've been in.

I agree you shouldn't have to remove the battery to get the air filter.
But it could be worse, you could have to take out the air filter to get to
the battery. :)  Or it could be under the rear seat like in the Audi Wagons!

Regarding the sunroof... I don't want glass-- they suck- you're always
blinded at some point of the day... I love the tilt/slide mechanism-- and
mine works just fine, so I won't complain about the quality... but they do
rattle *way* too much. :)

A functional back seat would be nice... I had two 7 year old girls in the
back seat who complained about the lack of room. :)

Seven words: G-E-A-R-I-N-G.  Sure, the close ratio is great-- but what's
with this 4000rpm at 75mph in 5th. I could kill the bastard engineer...

Yes, the headlight switch is ass backwards (although there *is* a light in
the switch, which is cool), but I don't find the interior materials cheap
at all... the leather seats are great, and the dash has aged well, as has
the overall design of this 20-year old car!

Now, let's not get me started on reliability issues.  True, in terms of
longevity, these cars are amazing-- how many 300,000 mile GMs do you see
floating around, getting 30mpg, doing 0-60 in 8 seconds, and still
performing near ZERO on the emissions tests.  But these cars do have the
habit of nickel-and-diming us to death. :)

I'll shut up now. :)  The "wife" is yelling at me- it's dinner time. :)

	Jason