engine size?

hey all,
I went to the Scirocco.org site and input my VIN #s it said I have an'82
delux with a 1.7
I did not put my engine # in yet but was wondering is that everyone
refers to as an 1.8, or is the 1.8 actualy a 1.8? When i upgrade engines
in awhile (iam currently at 200,215 miles) would there be a big
diference? What size could I go up to and still keep it fairly simple?
Bug world here said they could get me an 1.8 with around 40,000 miles
for about 400 bucks. what are your thoughts
thanks
c-ya, dave gray