RE: Timing Belt interval, Coolant light

From:          Chris Coracini <Coracin@usdl.com>
To:            "'scirocco-L@scirocco.org'" <scirocco-L@scirocco.org>, "'CAPTIANBR@aol.com'" <CAPTIANBR@aol.com>
Subject:       RE: Timing Belt interval, Coolant light
Date:          Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:17:10 -0500

actually I believe on a 16v you should only be able to twist it 45
deg.  check the bently

Tony

>I inspect my timing belt on a
>monthly basis(I know, paranoid) and there is no wear noticeable to the teeth
>but there is some wear on the backside of the belt.  My odometer does not
>work
>so I estimate during the 4 years I put around 5,000 miles per year. Should I
>be getting worried?

timing belts were originally supposed to last the life of the vehicle.
however, nearly all tuners will recommend to change the timing belt
every 50,000 miles.  you may want to check and see if the tension is set
too tight.  you should be able to twist the belt 90 degrees if you grab
it at the middle of its longest span (between the cam sprocket and
intermediate shaft).  if you can't twist it 90 degrees, it's too tight.
this can also cause failure of the adjusting sprocket.

>Thanks everyone in advance
>Brian 86 16v
>
>P.S. there is a gray Mk2 with modified body kit in Daytona Beach area, List
>member?

hey, another floridian.  i'm down in west palm beach!

chris
86 16V scirocco