Timing Belt interval, Coolant light

I know that some timing topics have been going around and sorry if this is a
repeat but what is everyone's opinion about the timeframe the belt should be
changed.  I got my 16v 4 years ago with a blown timing belt and bent valves.
I replaced the head my self with the exception of setting the timing, which I
had a professional do because after all that work that I did I did not want to
#&!k up the valves again.  I was only 17 and had no prior automotive
experience.  Well, anyway it was a great learning experience and had fun but I
don't ever want to have to do that again.  I inspect my timing belt on a
monthly basis(I know, paranoid) and there is no wear noticeable to the teeth
but there is some wear on the backside of the belt.  My odometer does not work
so I estimate during the 4 years I put around 5,000 miles per year. Should I
be getting worried?
Also with the coming of the cold weather my coolant temperature light has been
flashing. I know there is no problem with the level or temperature of my
coolant so which sending unit is acting up? Is it the one in the coolant
reservoir or is there another one somewhere else.

Thanks everyone in advance
Brian 86 16v

P.S. there is a gray Mk2 with modified body kit in Daytona Beach area, List
member?