Re: coolant smell

If you get one from German Parts and Restoration, the price is about 60
bucks.  The cost isn't the hard part.  The removal and reinstallation of the
heater core sucks big time.  It may be the heater core or a bad hose, but
most likely it is the heater core.  Does your car have A/C?  If it does,
you're in for some fun.  I just replaced the heater core in my car, and it
wasn't fun.  You have to take apart the majority of the dash (i.e. console,
glovebox, etc.) , and then you have to remove the box which houses the
heater core and the evaporator (if you have A/C).  Of course, this is after
you muscle off the heater hoses which have been there since the dawn of
time, and you have the A/C discharged.  Lots of fun.

Tom.
1986 Scirocco 16V - A Damn Slick Car