Re: couple questions

I don't think the 82+ models use the early type valve to control heat. I
think they use a flap system to close off air flow past the heater core.
These flaps are controlled by vacuum generated by the engine. Possibly the
control arm has fallen off the flap's lever. Perhaps there is a vacuum leak.

Good luch, hth,
TBerk